Kumar Sinha is Assistant Professor at Centre for Economic Policy and Public
Finance (CEPPF) at the Asian Development Research Institute (ADRI), Patna. His doctoral thesis was ‘Human Development and
Expenditure on Social Sector in Bihar'. He works in the areas
of fiscal federalism, resource mobilisation, expenditure management, regional inequality
and human development. He has helped State Government (Bihar) in preparing many
policy documents including Medium Term Fiscal Plans (MTFP) under their Fiscal
Responsibility, Budget Management Acts (FRBMA), Gender Budget, Outcome Budget
etc. He has been actively associated with preparation of Annual Economic Survey
of Bihar since 2007, Memorandum of Thirteenth and Fourteenth Finance Commission
for Bihar and other projects. Dr. Sinha has number of publications in the areas
of public finance, human development, agriculture and social sector issues.
Public Finance (Fiscal
Federalism, Resource Mobilisation, Expenditure Management and Debt Management), Banking, Human Development, Development
Sector, Regional Inequality.
An article ‘Strengthening Agricultural System: New Approaches' in Kurukshetra, the
Indian Journal of Rural Development -p. 20 - 23, Vol. 65, No. 7, May 2017, ISSN
A research paper ‘An Inter-States Analysis of Resource
Management' published in Aarthika Charche, Journal of Fiscal Policy Institute, Government of
Karnataka, Bangalore, (ISSN No.: 2455-6483), Vol - 2, No. - 1, July - December 2016.
3. A paper ‘Development
Dilemma in Bihar a Sectoral Analysis (1982-2015)' published in Man and
Development, Journal of Centre for Research in Rural and Industrial Development
(CRRID), Chandigarh, Volume - XXXVIII, No. 3, September 2016.
article ‘Climate Change & Mitigation: with reference to India and Bihar'
published in a book ‘Climate is changing, Food and agriculture must too' on
World Food Day-2016, by Bihar State Productivity Council, October 2016.
A research paper ‘Bihar Budget: Strides towards Inclusive
Development' in the first Journal Economic Development of Patna University,
Patna, Vol. - 1, No. - 1, June 2016.
article ‘Social Protection and
Agriculture: Breaking the Cycle of Rural Poverty' published in a book ‘Social
Protection and Agriculture: Breaking the Cycle of Rural Poverty' on World Food
Day-2015, by Bihar State Productivity Council, October 2015.
and Marginal Farmers in Bihar: a vital issue for inclusive development'
published in a book ‘Family Farming Feeding the
World, Caring for the Earth' on World Food Day 2014, by Bihar State
Productivity Council, October, 2014.
A research paper ‘Trends and
Patterns of Public Expenditure in Bihar during Tenth and Eleventh Five Year
in a book ‘Trends
& Patterns in Public Finance: Theoretical & Empirical Aspect' by
Committee on Public Finance, The Institute of
Chartered Accountants of India (ICAI), New Delhi, July, 2013.
An article ‘Banking
Infrastructure in BIMARU States' published in Gurukul Business Review
(GBR), 9th issue of the Annual Referred
International Journal of (FMS), Gurukula Kangri Vishwavidyalaya, Haridwar, ‘',
ISSN No. 0973-9262 (online) and 0973-1466 (offline), Spring 2013, Vol. 9, pp. - 97-99, 2013.
10. An article ‘Research and Retail Market Dynamics' published in the International Journal of Retailing and Marketing (ISSN No. 0976-318X), Vol. - 5, No. - 2, July 2013.
11. A research paper ‘Human Development Perspective: A Three Tier Analysis' published in the Radix International Journal of Research in Social Science (ISSN No.: 2250-3994 (Online), 2320-1738 (Print)), Vol. - 2, Issue - 6, June 2013.
12. An article ‘Women Empowerment in Bihar: Opportunities and Challenges' published in the Journal of Ideal Research Review, Vol. - 37, No. 2, March 2013.
13. A research paper ‘Commercial Taxes in Bihar: An Analysis of Pre and Post VAT Reform' published in The India Journal of Eco-Finance (ISSN No. 2249-3484), on, Vol.-2, No.-2, March 2013.
14. An article ‘Social Inclusion: A Thought of Babu Jagjivan Ram' published in The India Journal of Socio-Economic Development' (ISSN No. 2249-958X), Vol-3, No.-5&6, Oct., 2012 - March 2013.
research article ‘Rashtriya Swasthya Bima
Yojna - A Hope for BPL Families' published
in the refereed edited Book (ISBN 978-81-89972-79-0), titled ‘Contemporary Research in Emerging Insurance
market', edited by Dr. A. Vinayagamoorthy, Department of Commerce, Periyar
University, Tamil Nadu, August 2013.
16. A Chapter ‘Millennium Development Goals and Bihar: Trough the Lens of Human Development' in a book ‘Rural Economy of India: Globalization, High-Growth Trajectory, Strategy for Inclusive and Holistic Development' (ISBN -978-81-8450-406-4), Deep & Deep Publication Pvt. Ltd., New Delhi, 2012.
17. A Chapter ‘Microfinance: A Tool for Inclusive Growth' in a book ‘Rural Economy of India: Globalization, High-Growth Trajectory, Strategy for Inclusive and Holistic Development' (ISBN -978-81-8450-406-4), Deep & Deep Publication Pvt. Ltd., New Delhi, 2012.
News Paper Articles
Article Published in The Telegraph in guest column on ‘Bihar Budget 2015-16' on March 14, 2015.
2. An article on Budget 2015-16 of Government of Bihar, ‘Commitment to Better Quality of Life'
was published in The Telegraph on March 14, 2015
Talk / Shows
1. A panel discussion on ‘Black Economy after Demonetization' in a show ‘SAROKAR' on Doordarshan live on November 11, 2016 at 7:30 to 8:00 pm.
Lecture/ Panel Discussion/ Seminar/ Conference
1. Detailed discussion and presented a paper on
‘Budget Formulation with Narrow Focus on Health Financing' at Bill and Melinda
Gates Foundation on April 12, 2017.
2. International Conference on ‘Bihar and Jharkhand: Shared History to
Shared Vision' organised by Asian
Development Research Institute (ADRI) as part of its Silver Jubilee
Celebrations organised at Hotel Maurya during March 24-28, 2017.
the State of Bihar in the panel discussion on ‘India's Investment in Nutrition: States' Role and Response' organised by Centre for Budget and
Governance Accountability (CBGA) in collaboration with UNICEF on February 28, 2017 at India Habitat Centre,
Represented the State of Bihar in the panel discussion
on ‘India's Investment in
Nutrition: States' Role and Response' organised by Centre for Budget and Governance Accountability
(CBGA) in collaboration with UNICEF on
February 28, 2017 at India Habitat Centre, New Delhi.
Presented a research paper on ‘Diversity and Discrimination in Higher Education Institutions: A study
of the State of Bihar' published by the Centre for Policy Research in
Higher Education (CPRHE), National University of Educational Planning and
Administration (NUEPA), New Delhi, on February 28, 2017.
Represented State of Bihar in the Consultancy Meeting
on ‘Financing of School Education in
India' organised by Centre for Budget and Governance Accountability (CBGA)
with Child Right and You (CRY) at India Habitat Centre, New Delhi, December 22,
A paper presented ‘Climate Change & Mitigation: with
reference to India and Bihar' in a National Seminar ‘Climate is
changing, Food and agriculture must too' on World Food Day-2016' on the
occasion of World Food Day - 2016, organised by Bihar State Productivity
Council on October 16, 2016.
Panel discussion in the International Conference ‘Development and Growth: Experience and
Theories' organised by ADRI, Patna on March 28, 2016.
Presented a paper ‘Social
Protection and Agriculture: Breaking the Cycle of Rural Poverty' in a
National Seminar ‘Social Protection and Agriculture: Breaking the Cycle of
Rural Poverty' on World Food Day-2015, organised
by Bihar State Productivity Council on October 16, 2015.
10. Presented a
paper on ‘Economic Survey of Bihar: A
Journey' in the workshop on ‘Economic Policy and Development: An Appraisal
of Economic Surveys of Bihar (2006-07 to 2014-15)' on September 12, 2015 at
a paper ‘State Finances of Bihar: An
Overview' in the refresher course at National Institute of Public Finance
and Policy (NIPFP), New Delhi on June 05, 2015.
a research paper ‘Educational Status of
Muslim Girls' in India and Bihar' in the National Seminar organised by
Ministry of Minority Affairs, Govt of India on ‘Muslim Girls Education and Dropouts' at D N S Regional Institute of
Cooperative Management, Patna, on March 30, 2015.
presented on occasion of World Food Day,
16-10-2014 on ‘Family Farming Feeding the World, Caring for the Earth' organised
by Bihar State Productivity Council sponsored by NABARD;
as a panelist on 'Land Right Recognition:
Governance in Bihar' of Chandragupta Institute of Management, Patna,
World Bank, NABARD and Govt. of Bihar, August 2014;
as a panelist on 'Land Valuation and
Taxation' organised by Chandragupta Institute of Management-Patna,
World Bank, NABARD and Government of Bihar, July 2014;
as a panelist on 'Land Governance in
Bihar' by Chandragupta
Institute of Management, Patna, at Hotel Patliputra Ashok, Patna,
round table discussion with American Embassy on ‘Development of Bihar in recent past', 2014.
18. Participated in the International Conference on ‘Bihar Growth Day' by International Growth Centre, India-Bihar directed by London School of Economics and Oxford University, at Hotel Maurya in December 2009, 2010, 2011and 2012 and in July 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016.
19. Attended a lecture on ‘Fiscal Deficit Crisis: New Architect Needs to Fix the Architecture and not the Plumbing' by Professor Rathin Roy, Director of NIPFP, New Delhi, August 2014.
20. Participated in the State Government's workshop on ‘Flood Risk Management', organised by Bihar State Disaster Management Authority, at Hotel Maurya, Patna on June 01, 2013.
21. Participated in the ‘Workshop on Trends in Growth and Pattern of State Domestic Product, Bihar, 1948 - 49 to 2011 - 12', organised by Central Statistical Organisation (CSO) & Directorate of Economics & Statistics, Government of Bihar, at Hotel Patliputra Ashok, Patna on May 23, 2013.
22. Given a note in the meeting of ‘Fourteenth Finance Commission for Eastern Region on Issue Related to the Term of Reference of the Commission' organised by Fourteenth Finance Commission at Indian Institute of Management (IIM), Kolkata on May 02, 2013.
23. Participated in the ‘Second Quarter Review of Monetary Policy - 2012-13' organised by Reserve Bank of India at Regional Office, Reserve Bank of India, Patna in November, 2012.
24. Attended workshop on ‘Housing Condition in Bihar' organised by the Census of India-Bihar at Bihar Chamber of Commerce in July, 2012.
25. Participated in Bihar Global Summit 2012 on ‘Forging Partnership for Development', by Government of Bihar at Maurya Hotel, Patna on 17-18-19 February, 2012.
26. Participated in seminar on ‘Towards an Agriculture - First Development Strategy in Bihar, India' at Asian Development Research Institute, Patna on 7th November, 2011.
27. Participated in ‘International Conference on Financial Inclusion and Economic Growth - Theory and Evidences' at Chandragupta Institute of Management, Patna on July 28 & 29, 2011.
28. Participated in workshop on ‘Statistical System in India' organised by Department of Planning and Development, Government of Bihar at Suchna Bhavan, Patna in July, 2010.
29. Participated in international seminar on ‘Revisiting the Poverty Issue: Measurement, Identification and Eradication Strategies' by Institute of Human Development, New Delhi and Centre for Economic Policy and Public Finance, Patna at hotel Chanakya on April 18-19-20, 2010.
30. Participated in international seminar on ‘Financial Sector Reforms in India: Review of Proposals of the Raghuram Rajan Committee' by Centre for Economic Policy and Public Finance, ADRI, Patna on November 29, 2009.
31. Participated in the National Workshop on ‘Inter- and Intra-State Disparity', of the Thirteenth Finance Commission at The Maurya Hotel, Patna on December 13, 2008.