( Economics ) Patna University, 1977
of Philosophy ( Economics ), Patna University, 1981
Dr Gupta has been doing research in the field of economics/industrial economics for the last two decades, specializing in the political economy of the regional dimensions of capitalist transformation in India and the related questions of growth. Much of his work has been with special reference to the industrial sector in Bihar, the most underdeveloped region of India. He is presently engaged in a comparative study of political economy of Bihar and Madhya Pradesh and its implication for pattern of governance and growth in respective states.
He has edited a book entitled ‘Bihar : Stagnation and Growth’. He has also been a prolific contributor to journals and has written several newspaper columns. He has prepared various research reports including Dynamics of Employment and Poverty in Bihar, Role of Institutional Credit in Tribal Development, etc.
Before joining ADRI, Dr Gupta was a faculty member at the A N Sinha Institute of Social Studies at Patna.
He is currently a:
Director, Centre for
Economic Policy and Public Finance (CEPPF) at the Asian Development Research
Institute (ADRI), Patna.
- Co-Director, International Growth Centre, India-Bihar Programme.
Member-Secretary, Asian Development Research Institute.
- Member of the Finance Commission, Government of Bihar.
- Member of the National Steering Committee of the Indo-Dutch Programme on Alternatives in Development (IDPAD) -- a collaborative. international research programme of the Indian Council of Social Science Research (ICSSR) and the(WOTRO).Netherlands Foundation for the Advancement of Tropical Research
- Member of Expert Group of Planning Commission, Government of India on Development Issues to deal with Causes of Discontent, Unrest and Extremist.
- Member of the Committee on Financial Resources in Bihar.
- Member of Committee on Land Acquisition & Allotment Policy for Bihar, Constituted by Government of Bihar.
- Member Executive Committee, National Literacy Mission, Government of India, Ministry of HRD, New Delhi.
'Grassroots intervention strategies' for socio-economic development.
To promote development research that is more user-oriented than the academic output of typical research institutions.
Development issues of Bihar and the entire Hindi Heartland and the eastern Indian states.